Mission Address

You can write to Luke at the following address:
(regular US postage rates apply)

Luke A. Powell
Hawaii Honolulu Mission
1500 South Beretania St. Suite #416
Honolulu, Hawaii 96826

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Involved in worthwhile efforts, Eternally grateful

3/14/16
Motta im baamle yokwe!! :)

I was very saddened to hear about the passing of Sis. Knaparek. She truly was an incredible woman and I have MANY fond memories of both being in her class as well as taking her the sacrament when she was unable to come to church and even a lot of good memories of her son Tony who was such a good home teacher for so many years! They are a wonderful family and I am sure that they will continue to do amazing things whatever side of the veil they may be on!! Still my heart felt prayers and thoughts are definitely with them this week as they always will be. 

Man, that's super cool to hear about All-state Joe!! Way to be involved in so many worthwhile efforts! Again I would reference that talk by Gordon B. Hinkley when he quoted the story about how you can tell what a person is really like by what they do with their leisure time, whether they are "an eagle soaring to lofting highs" and "flying upwards towards Heaven" or whether they are "pigs, wallowing in the filthiest of mud-holes the pasture has to offer."

Also when you do get in touch with those Hawaiian bothers be sure to ask them a lot about Hawaii! If there is one thing Hawaiians LOVE to talk about it is Hawaii!!! haha! seriously, the pull of the islands ESPECIALLY for a local born is VERY strong and just like they always say "you can take a boy from the islands, but you can't take the island from the boy!" :)

I will just kind of wrap up by saying that we are also doing a lot of WONDERFUL things out here as well! :) I wish I had more to tell you about but really this week hasn't been too eventful our out of the ordinary, that's why I thought I would focus my e-mail this week more so on all of you because plain old me is just doing plain old Marshallese things out here in plain old Hawaii! haha (although I fully realize that there is nothing "plain" or average in any way for that matter about myself, the Marshallese people or Hawaii.) Still it has been fun to serve this past week!

We did have one big thing happen this last week when one of the investigators we were teaching agreed to get married to his girl-friend that he is living with and has a child with so that he can get baptized on the 26th of this month! :) It definitely helps that the girl he is now technically engaged to is part of a super active and strong member family almost all of which are seminary graduates and the dad is even our branch high priest group leader..... To be fair though he is quite literally the ONLY ordained high priest in the entire branch as well! :P hahaha! But still it is exciting to see the progress our investigator has made! It is also nice to finally teach and hopefully baptize someone over the age of 12 for once over here! :P hahaha! 

Well we better get going! I love you all SO much and again I am ETERNALLY grateful for you and for the great people that you are! Have a fantastic week and keep on be awesome as always! You will still be in my thoughts and prayers! Kommol im bar lo eok!!

-Elder Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment