Mission Address

You can write to Luke at the following address:
(regular US postage rates apply)

Luke A. Powell
Hawaii Honolulu Mission
1500 South Beretania St. Suite #416
Honolulu, Hawaii 96826

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Nice and Normal, Enabling Power, One Year Mark


Since we didn't have any new fun photos of Luke to share this week, here is a photo of Luke's Grandpa Powell when he was a young man. Apparently Luke's propensity to hang out in trees is genetic. 
7/20/15
Aloha ohana!!!

Glad to hear everything is nice and normal (well relatively) back home! :) honestly "normal" is something that I've never been very familiar with although I do wonder sometimes what it would be like! :P haha Anyway, as for our week it was actually a pretty good week. Still a little slow when it comes to teaching lessons and everything…but it was interesting how over and over throughout the week almost all of our messages and studies even seemed to be about the Enabling Power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ!! Truly incredible stuff!!! (I think my favorite talk I read on that was called "In the Strength of the Lord by Elder David A. Bednar at a BYU devotional a couple years back.) Anyway, that has really been helping me a ton (obviously, that's kinda what it's there to do. haha) and it's almost become a theme for us as a companionship hopefully at least for the rest of the transfer!

Other than that though highlights of the week first and foremost included some great lessons ranging from less-actives who have sincerely tried but struggled with overcoming past grudges and mistakes of others for multiple years now to strengthening a young single father of two who has had his own battles with addictions in the past that even lost him his children for a while but he is now doing INCREDIBLY well and getting his life not only more situated physically and financially but also spiritually so as to be able to provide even more so for his kids in all of those aspects!

Of course we also had a big celebration this past week on the 16th for reaching our official one year mark on the mission!! It's crazy to think that exactly 1 year ago last Thursday Elder Baker and I entered the MTC fresh and not too sure what lay ahead and now here we are again together with some faded suits, worn out shoes and a whole lot more experiences under our belts with many more to come as well! it's been super fun being with someone I came out with! Just as it was with Elder Rentmeister and Elder Griffin before! Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again in the future... I'm starting to realize we had a pretty huge group that came out our time with about 18 Elders and 4 Sisters compared to the 1 or 2 new Elders and 3 or 4 Sisters we have been getting the last quite a few transfers :P but anyway, it's been a good year! :)

That being said I know there is a lot more I want to say and a lot more I probably should say, especially some kind of motivational spiritual awesome statement that you could then print off and hang on the wall or quote in your next talk/testimony at church but... well... I don't have anything right now and I don't really have the time to think of any either.. so it suffices me to say that, the Atonement is very real and very powerful and when both its cleansing and enabling effects are put to use even less than ordinary men and woman to do extraordinary things no matter how impossible the odds may seem. (there that was kinda of insightful! haha) Anyway, I love you all, I miss you like crazy and pray for you every day but I know I'll see you soon enough! In fact I should see you approximately this exact time next year! so yeah, hopefully the weather that year is a little cooler and a little more humid than it seems now, otherwise I might just shrivel up when I step off the plane! haha
Well have a fantastic week! Aloha au ia oe!

-Elder Powell



No comments:

Post a Comment